Many factors go into deciding what city is the best for you to live in, but here we will talk about five of the top cities around the world. These are places where young people thrive and they have plenty of things to do. We’ll also provide information on how much it costs to live in these cities so you can make an informed decision!
1) New York City $2,800/month studio apartment
New York City is a vibrant and diverse city with so much to offer. One of the best things about it is that new neighborhoods are always popping up, making for an exciting atmosphere as you explore different areas each day. Plus, in every neighborhood, you’ll find something unique worth exploring! New York has something for everyone from parks to cultural institutions like museums, galleries, and theaters.
- The people make the city what it is: there’s a sense of community wherever you go in NYC that can’t be found anywhere else. And with access to top-notch education resources like schools and libraries open 24/365 all year long—plus the thriving tech scene—you’ll never want to leave!
It’s a city that encourages you to be your best and do what makes YOU happy. How can you not love that?
- New York City is the best place for young people because it has something for everyone: whether you’re looking for an exciting urban lifestyle or a slower-paced suburban one, New York City has it. The people thrive on individuality, which makes the city so special: wherever you go, there are always new things to do!
The first city that we’ll talk about is New York City, and this place has a very high cost of living with an average studio apartment costing $2800/month.
2) London $3,500/month one-bedroom apartment
London is one of the most diverse cities in the world, with a population that speaks more than 200 languages and dialects. This means you can spend your days at home speaking English or Spanish to friends from around the world. As London has so many people who are not native English speakers, it’s best if you learn as much of the language as you can.
- Highest standards of living: It may be a cliché but London really is a melting pot of cultures, with communities from all over the world living side-by-side in peace and harmony on most days. As well as being one of the most diverse cities in Europe, it’s also considered to have one of the highest standards of living, with the average Londoner earning £27,000 a year for comparison.
- Best healthcare, education, and infrastructure: The city itself is also an attraction in its own right and has been voted as one of the most liveable cities in Europe by The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Ranking 2018. It was given high scores on healthcare, education, and infrastructure, as well as low levels of air pollution.
- High employment rate: As an international city that is home to the largest number of finance jobs in Europe, London also has a very high employment rate and if you do work for one of the many global companies located there then your chances are even higher. With so much opportunity at hand, it’s no surprise that London is such a popular destination for young people.
London has one-bedroom apartments ranging from $3000-4000/year.
3) Paris $4,000/month two-bedroom apartment
Do you want to live in one of the world’s most beautiful cities? The French capital is a safe and inexpensive place for students, tourists, or individuals who are looking for some peace. For those people, Paris makes an excellent choice. But what exactly do we mean by this statement? And why should young adults be interested in living there?
- Cheaper living expenses: Paris offers a cheaper living expense than most other major European cities, such as London or Rome (and it’s even less expensive than many US cities). The cost of food, transportation, and housing in Paris are all significantly lower than they are in New York City or Los Angeles.
- Thriving economy and excellent jobs: Paris has a thriving economy and excellent jobs for young professionals. The French government spends more money on research than any other country in Europe, which means that many international corporations have offices there. Paris is an appealing destination for students who are looking to work while they study, as the city also has one of the highest rates of foreign investment.
- Excellent quality of life: Paris offers an excellent quality of life. In addition to the possibility of working and studying in Paris, it is also a top destination for culture vultures. The city has numerous art museums (such as Louvre), opera houses, and theaters that offer world-class performances year-round. There are also more than two dozen universities located in the area.
Paris has two-bedroom apartments that are priced around $4000/year.
4) Shanghai $8,000/year student dormitory
The city of Shanghai is one that’s been heavily influenced by Western culture and has historically welcomed foreigners. It was the first Chinehhse port to open up trade for foreign countries in 1842, so it’s no surprise that this place thrives on its diversity today – whether you’re from China or elsewhere.
- Low cost of living: It can be difficult to adjust to life in China, but Shanghai has a lot to offer. For one thing, the cost of living is relatively low compared to other major Chinese cities – and no matter your budget, you’ll be able to find an apartment that fits within it.
- Exposed to different cultures: Being multicultural means being exposed to different cultures and having access to new things like food and entertainment that you couldn’t find at home. There are a lot of great restaurants and bars to explore, like the hipster-friendly Xintiandi District that’s full of trendy cafes for all types of budgets.
Shanghai is a city where you can rent an apartment for about $8000 per year, which includes all utilities, transportation, internet access throughout the building, and even laundry services!
5) Rome $6,700/year small studio apartment
Rome is a city that has captured the attention and affection of many people. It offers much to see, both from historical landmarks as well as art galleries. In Rome you’ll find all sorts of museums – including the Musei Capitolini, where some ancient sculptures are on display near Michelangelo’s famous statue of David; or The Palazzo Barberini, which has the most extensive collection of paintings by Raphael.
- Safe city: Rome is a safe city for all people to live in. The crime rates are low and the murder rate is one of the lowest on Earth, even at night when most crime usually occurs.
- Rich food and culture: Rome has a rich food culture that makes it the perfect place for anyone who loves trying new things. The city is full of wonderful restaurants with fresh ingredients from all over Italy, Europe and even other parts of the world depending on what you’re looking for in your meal.
You’ll never run out of things to do in Rome while you’re living there as the city is full of rich culture that will keep any person entertained for hours at a time.
Rome is more affordable with small studio apartments costing around $6700-6800/year.
One of the best things about these top cities is that they are all beautiful, so it doesn’t matter where you live. It’s a personal preference and what kind of experience you’re looking for!